QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索
查看: 2936|回复: 0

[晨韵英语] 晨韵推荐:双语美文--哈利波特与凤凰社 Chapter 9(上)

[复制链接]
发表于 2016-12-5 14:28:36 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
IP:四川成都
Dumbledore's abrupt departure took Harry completely by surprise. He remained sitting where he was in the chained chair, struggling with his feelings of shock and relief. The Wizengamot were all getting to their feet, talking, gathering up their papers and packing them away. Harry stood up.
Nobody seemed to be paying him the slightest bit of attention, except the toadlike witch on Fudge's right, who was now gazing down at him instead of at Dumbledore. Ignoring her, he tried to catch Fudge's eye, or Madam Bones's, wanting to ask whether he was free to go, but Fudge seemed quite determined not to notice Harry, and Madam Bones was busy with her briefcase, so he took a lew tentative steps towards the exit and, when nobody called him back, broke into a very fast walk.
He took the last lew steps at a run, wrenched open the door and almost collided with Mr Weasley, who was standing right outside, looking pale and apprehensive.
'Dumbledore didn't say - '
'Cleared,' Harry said, pulling the door closed behind him, 'of all charges!'
Beaming, Mr Weasley seized Harry by the shoulders.
'Harry, that's wonderful! Well, of course, they couldn't have found you guilty, not on the evidence, but even so, I can't pretend I wasn't - '
But Mr Weasley broke off, because the courtroom door had ust opened again. The Wizengamot were filing out.
'Merlin's beard!' exclaimed Mr Weasley wonderingly, pulling Harry aside to let them all pass. 'You were tried by the lull court?'
'I think so,' said Harry quietly.
邓布利多的突然离去使哈利感到十分意外。他一动不动地坐在缠着链条的椅子上,努力使自己从惊愕和如释重负的感觉中缓过来。威森加摩的成员们纷纷站起身来,一边说着话一边整理收拾文件。哈利也站了起来。
似乎没有一个人在注意他,只有福吉右边那个癞蛤蟆般的女巫例外,她刚才一直盯着邓布利多,现在又盯着哈利了。哈利假装没有看见,他试着去捕捉福吉或博恩斯女士的目光,想问问他是不是可以走了,但福吉似乎打定主意不理睬哈利,博恩斯女士则忙着整理自己的公文包。于是哈利犹豫不决地朝门口走了几步,见没有人叫他回去,便赶紧加快了脚步。
他几乎是小跑着走完了最后几步,拧开房门,差点跟站在外面的韦斯莱先生撞了个满怀。韦斯莱先生脸色苍白,显得惶恐不安。
“邓布利多没有说——”
“澄清了,”哈利反手把门关上,说道,“所有的指控都不成立。”
韦斯莱先生顿时眉开眼笑,一把抓住哈利的两个肩膀。
“哈利,真是太棒了!其实,当然啦,他们是不可能判你有罪的,你有证人嘛,但我还是不能假装自己不——”
韦斯莱先生猛地顿住了,因为这时审判室的门又开了,威森加摩的成员鱼贯而出。
“我的天哪——”韦斯莱先生惊讶地喊了起来,把哈利拉到一边,让他们过去,“他们正式开庭审判你?”
“我想是的。”哈利轻声说。
One or two of the wizards nodded to Harry as they passed and a few, including Madam Bones, said, 'Morning, Arthur,' to Mr Weasley, but most averted their eyes. Cornelius Fudge and the toadlike witch were almost the last to leave the dungeon. Fudge acted as though Mr Weasley and Harry were part of the wall, hut again, the witch looked almost appraisingly at Harry as she passed. Last of all to pass was Percy.
Like Fudge, he completely ignored his father and Harry; he marched past clutching a large roll of parchment and a handful of spare quills, his back rigid and his nose in the air. The lines around Mr Weasley's mouth tightened slightly, but other than this he gave no sign that he had seen his third son.
'I'm going to take you straight back so you can tell the others the good news,' he said, beckoning Harry forwards as Percy's heels disappeared up the steps to Level Nine. 'I'll drop you off on the way to that toilet in Bethnal Green. Come on . . .'
'So, what will you have to do about the toilet?' Harry asked, grinning. Everything suddenly seemed five times funnier than usual. It was starting to sink in: he was cleared, he was going back to Hogwarts.
'Oh, it's a simple enough anti-jinx,' said Mr Weasley as they mounted the stairs, 'but it's not so much having to repair the damage, it's more the attitude behind the vandalism, Harry. Muggle-baiting might strike some wizards as funny, but it's an expression of something much deeper and nastier, and I for one - '
Mr Weasley broke off in mid-sentence. They had just reached the ninth-level corridor and Cornelius Fudge was standing a few feet away from them, talking quietly to a tall man with sleek blond hair and a pointed, pale face.
The second man turned at the sound of their footsteps. He, too, broke off in mid-conversation, his cold grey eyes narrowed and fixed upon Harry's face.
'Well, well, well . . . Patronus Potter,' said Lucius Malfoy coolly.
一两个巫师走过时冲着哈利点了点头,还有几个,包括博恩斯女士,对韦斯莱先生说:“早上好,亚瑟。”但大多数人都把眼睛望着别处。康奈利和那个癞蛤蟆样的女巫几乎是最后离开暗室的。福吉只当韦斯莱先生和哈利是墙壁的一部分,而那个女巫走过时,又一次用几乎是审视的目光打量着哈利。
最后走过的是珀西,他和福吉一样,完全无视他父亲和哈利的存在。他抓着一大卷羊皮纸和一大把备用的羽毛笔,背挺得直直的,鼻孔朝天,大步流星地走了过去。韦斯莱先生嘴巴周围的线条紧了一紧,但除此之外,他没有表露出见到他三儿子的任何迹象。
“我想直接把你送回去,你可以把这个好消息告诉大家。”他说,当珀西的脚跟消失在通往第九层楼的阶梯上时,他示意哈利往前走,“我要去贝斯纳绿地的那间厕所,顺便把你捎回去。走吧……”
“那么,你准备怎么对付那间厕所呢?”哈利咧嘴笑着问。突然之间,所有的事情似乎都比平常好玩了五倍。他终于开始明白:他被宣告无罪了,他就要回霍格沃茨去了。
“哦,只需一个反恶咒的魔法,再简单不过了。”他们上楼时,韦斯莱先生说,“修好被弄坏的东西倒没有什么,主要是这种破坏行为背后的态度,哈利。有些巫师可能会觉得捉弄麻瓜挺好玩的,但它可能表达了一种更深刻、更丑恶的东西,我作为一个——”
韦斯莱先生话说到一半突然打住了。他们刚走到第九层楼的走廊上,康奈利·福吉站在离他们几步远的地方,正和一个高个子男人小声交谈着,那人一头油光水滑的金黄色头发,一张尖脸白煞煞的。
听到他们的脚步声,那个高个子男人转过脸来。他也是话没说完就突然停住了,眯起冷冰冰的灰眼睛,死死地盯着哈利的脸。
“好啊,好啊,好啊……守护神波特!”卢修斯·马尔福冷冷地说。
Harry felt winded, as though he had just walked into something solid. He had last seen those cold grey eyes through slits in a Death Hater's hood, and last heard that man's voice jeering in a dark graveyard while Lord Voldemort tortured him. Harry could not believe that Lucius Malfoy dared look him in the face; he could not believe that he was here, in the Ministry of Magic, or that Cornelius Fudge was talking to him, when Harry had told Fudge mere weeks ago that Malfoy was a Death Eater.
The Minister was just telling me about your lucky escape, Potter,' drawled Mr Malfoy. 'Quite astonishing, the way you continue to wriggle out of very tight holes . . . snakelike, in fact.'
Mr Weasley gripped Harry's shoulder in warning.
'Yeah,' said Harry, 'yeah, I'm good at escaping.'
Lucius Malfoy raised his eyes to Mr Weasley's face.
'And Arthur Weasley too! What are you doing here, Arthur?'
'I work here,' said Mr Weasley curtly.
'Not here, surely?' said Mr Malfoy, raising his eyebrows and glancing towards the door over Mr Weasley's shoulder. 'I thought you were up on the second floor . . . don't you do something that involves sneaking Muggle artefacts home and bewitching them?'
'No,' Mr Weasley snapped, his fingers now biting into Harry's shoulder.
'What are you doing here, anyway?' Harry asked Lucius Malfoy.
哈利突然觉得透不过气来,似乎他一脚跨进了某个凝固的东西里。他上次看见这两只冷冰冰的灰眼睛时,它们隐藏在食死徒兜帽的两道狭缝后面;他上次听见这个男人的声音,是在阴暗的墓地里发出的阵阵嘲笑,而当时伏地魔正在折磨他。哈利不敢相信卢修斯·马尔福竟然还敢当面看着他,他不敢相信马尔福竟然出现在这里,在堂堂的魔法部,而康奈利·福吉竟然在跟他说话,要知道哈利几个星期前曾亲口对福吉说过马尔福是个食死徒。
“部长刚告诉了我你侥幸逃脱的经过,波特,”马尔福先生拿腔做调地说,“真是令人惊诧,你能够不断地从很狭窄的洞里钻出来……说实在的,真像蛇一样。”
韦斯莱先生紧紧抓住哈利的肩膀,警告他不要轻举妄动。
“是啊,”哈利说,“是啊,我很善于逃脱。”
卢修斯·马尔福抬起目光望着韦斯莱先生的脸。
“还有亚瑟·韦斯莱!你在这里做什么呢,亚瑟?”
“我在这里工作。”韦斯莱先生没好气地说。
“肯定不是这里吧?”马尔福说着扬起眉毛,扫了一眼韦斯莱先生身后的那扇门,“我记得你好像是在二楼……你的那份工作所涉及的不就是把麻瓜物品偷回家,给它们施魔法吗?”
“不是。”韦斯莱先生粗暴地说,他的手指已深深陷进了哈利的肩膀。
“那么你在这里做什么呢?”哈利问卢修斯·马尔福。
'I don't think private matters between myself and the Minister are any concern of yours, Potter,' said Malfoy, smoothing the front of his robes. Harry distinctly heard the gentle clinking of what sounded like a full pocket of gold. 'Really, just because you are Dumbledore's favourite boy, you must not expect the same indulgence from the rest of us . . . shall we go up to your office, then, Minister?'
'Certainly,' said Fudge, turning his back on Harry and Mr Weasley. This way, Lucius.'
They strode off together, talking in low voices. Mr Weasley did not let go of Harry's shoulder until they had disappeared into the lift.
'Why wasn't he waiting outside Fudge's office if they've got business to do together?' Harry burst out furiously. What was he doing down here?'
'Trying to sneak down to the courtroom, if you ask me,' said Mr Weasley, looking extremely agitated and glancing over his shoulder as though making sure they could not be overheard. Trying to find out whether you'd been expelled or not. I'll leave a note for Dumbledore when I drop you off, he ought to know Malfoy's been talking to Fudge again.'
'What private business have they got together, anyway?'
'Gold, I expect,' said Mr Weasley angrily. 'Malfoy's been giving generously to all sorts of things for years . . . gets him in with the right people . . . then he can ask favours . . . delay laws he doesn't want passed . . . oh, he's very well-connected, Lucius Malfoy.'
The lift arrived; it was empty except for a flock of memos that flapped around Mr Weasley's head as he pressed the button for the Atrium and the doors clanged shut. He waved them away irritably.
“我认为,我自己和部长之间的一些私事不需要你来过问,波特。”马尔福说着抹了抹他长袍的前襟。哈利清楚地听见了一阵轻微的丁零丁零的声音,似乎他的口袋里装满了金子。“说实在的,你可不能因为自己是邓布利多的宠儿,就指望我们其他人也对你骄纵放任……好了,部长,我们这就去你的办公室吧?”
“当然,”福吉说着把背转向了哈利和韦斯莱先生,“这边走,卢修斯。”
他们迈开大步走了,一边低声交谈着。韦斯莱先生一直等到他们消失在电梯里,才松开了哈利的肩膀。
“如果他们要一起谈事情,他为什么不在福吉的办公室外面等着呢?”哈利气呼呼地问道,“他到这下面来做什么?”
“照我看,他是想偷偷溜进审判室,”韦斯莱先生说道,他显得十分心烦意乱,不住地扭头看看有没有人在偷听,“想弄清你到底是不是被开除了。我把你送回去时要给邓布利多留一个短信,他应该知道马尔福又在跟福吉嘀咕什么。”
“他们之间到底有什么私事呢?”
“我想是金子吧。”韦斯莱先生气愤地说,“许多年来,马尔福一直对各种各样的人出手很大方……好使自己跟有权势的人攀上交情……然后可以要求特殊照顾……让那些他不想通过的法律一拖再拖……哦,卢修斯·马尔福,他真是能量不小,神通广大。”
电梯来了,里面没有人,只有一群字条在韦斯莱先生的头顶上飞来飞去。他按了一下到正厅的按钮,电梯门哐啷啷关上了。他不耐烦地挥手驱赶着字条。
'Mr Weasley,' said Harry slowly, 'if Fudge is meeting Death Eaters like Malfoy, if he's seeing them alone, how do we know they haven't put the Imperius Curse on him?'
'Don't think it hasn't occurred to us, Harry,' said Mr Weasley quietly. 'But Dumbledore thinks Fudge is acting of his own accord at the moment - which, as Dumbledore says, is not a lot of comfort. Best not talk about it any more just now, Harry.'
The doors slid open and they stepped out into the now almost-deserted Atrium. Eric the watchwizard was hidden behind his Daily Prophet again. They had walked straight past the golden fountain before Harry remembered.
'Wait . . .' he told Mr Weasley, and, pulling his moneybag from his pocket, he turned back to the fountain.
He looked up into the handsome wizard's face, but close-to Harry thought he looked rather weak and foolish. The witch was wearing a vapid smile like a beauty contestant, and from what Harry knew of goblins and centaurs, they were most unlikely to be caught staring so soppily at humans of any description. Only the house-elf's attitude of creeping servility looked convincing. With a grin at the thought of what Hermione would say if she could see the statue of the elf, Harry turned his moneybag upside-down and emptied not just ten Galleons, but the whole contents into the pool.
'I knew it!' yelled Ron, punching the air. 'You always get away with stuff!'
'They were bound to clear you,' said Hermione, who had looked positively faint with anxiety when Harry had entered the kitchen and was now holding a shaking hand over her eyes, 'there was no case against you, none at all.'
'Everyone seems quite relieved, though, considering you all knew I'd get off,' said Harry, smiling.
“韦斯莱先生,”哈利慢吞吞地说道,“如果福吉跟马尔福这样的食死徒来往,我们怎么知道他们没有给他施夺魂咒呢?”
“别以为我们没有想到这一点,哈利,”韦斯莱先生小声说,“但邓布利多认为福吉先生目前是按照自己的意愿在行事——但是,用邓布利多的话说,这并不能给人带来多少安慰。现在最好还是别谈这件事,哈利。”
电梯门滑开了,他们走了出来,正厅里现在几乎空无一人。值班的巫师埃里克又藏在《预言家日报》后面了。他们径直从金色喷泉旁边走过时,哈利突然想起了一件事。
“等一等……”他对韦斯莱先生说,然后从口袋里掏出钱袋,返身朝喷泉走去。
他抬头仔细端详着那位英俊的巫师的面孔,现在离得近了,哈利觉得他显得很柔弱,很愚蠢。那女巫脸上堆着一个空洞的笑容,像是在参加选美比赛,而且就哈利对妖精和马人的了解,他们绝不可能这样含情脉脉地仰望任何人。只有家养小精灵那副怯生生的奴隶般的神态还令人信服。不知赫敏看到这个小精灵的雕像会说什么。哈利想到这儿,脸上露出调皮的笑容,他把钱袋倒过来,不是数出十个加隆,而是把里面的钱都倒进了水潭。
“我早就知道!”罗恩挥拳击打着空气,喊道,“你总是能侥幸逃脱的!”
“他们肯定会宣告你无罪的,”赫敏说,刚才哈利走进厨房时,她看上去紧张得都快晕倒了,而现在她正用一只颤抖的手捂住眼睛,“没有理由给你判罪,根本就没有。”
“虽说你们都早就知道我不会有事,但每个人似乎都松了一口气呢。”哈利笑眯眯地说。

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

扫二维码关注我们

小黑屋|手机版|雄州网 ( 蜀ICP备10022193号-9

Copyright 2015 最新最精彩-社区论坛 版权所有 All Rights Reserved.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表