QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索
查看: 2978|回复: 0

[晨韵英语] 晨韵推荐:双语美文--哈利波特与凤凰社 Chapter 5(上)

[复制链接]
发表于 2016-7-18 10:21:55 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
IP:四川成都
Tonks obliged, and Harry, looking up, had the fleeting impression that a female Dudley was grinning at him from across - 'he table.

Mr Weasley, Bill and Lupin were having an intense discuss on about goblins.

They're not giving anything away yet,' said Bill. 'I still can't work out whether or not they believe he's back. Course, they might prefer not to take sides at all. Keep out of it.'

'I'm sure they'd never go over to You-Know-Who,' said Mr Weasley, shaking his head. They've suffered losses too; remember that goblin family he murdered last time, somewhere near Nottingham?'

'I think it depends what they're offered,' said Lupin. 'And I'm not talking about gold. If they're offered the freedoms we've been denying them for centuries they're going to be tempted. Have you still not had any luck with Ragnok, Bill?'

'He's feeling pretty anti-wizard at the moment,' said Bill, 'he hasn't stopped raging about the Bagman business, he reckons the Ministry did a cover-up, those goblins never got their gold from him, you know - '

A gale of laughter from the middle of the table drowned the rest of Bill's words. Fred, George, Ron and Mundungus were rolling around in their seats.

'. . . and then,' choked Mundungus, tears running down his face, 'and then, if you'll believe it, 'e says to me, 'e says, ' "Ere, Dung, where didja get all them toads from? 'Cos some son of a Sludger's gone and nicked all mine!" And I says, "Nicked all your toads, Will, what next? So you'll be wanting some more, then?" And if you'll believe me, lads, the gormless gargoyle buys all 'is own toads back orf me for a lot more'n what 'e paid in the first place - '

唐克斯照办了,哈利抬起头,刹那间,他还以为一个女达力正隔着桌子朝他咧嘴微笑呢。

韦斯莱先生、比尔和卢平正在进行一场关于妖精的激烈讨沦。

“他们还是滴水不漏,什么也不肯说,”比尔说,“我仍然弄不清楚他们是不是相信他回来了。当然,他们大概不想支持任何一方,不想卷到这里头来。”

“我相信他们决不会倒向神秘人那边,”韦斯莱先生摇着头说道,“他们的损失也很惨重。还记得他上次杀害的那一家妖精吗,就在诺丁汉附近?”

“我想,那得看人家给他们开出了什么价码,”卢平说道,“我说的不是金子。如果有人向他们提供我们几个世纪以来不肯给他们的自由,他们就会抵挡不住诱惑。比尔,拉格诺那边还是没有丝毫转机吗?”

“他目前在感情上对巫师还是挺排斥的,”比尔说,“他现在还为巴格曼的那档子事儿气得要命呢,觉得魔法部掩盖了真相。你们知道,那些妖精始终没能从他手里拿到他们的金子——”

桌子中央传来一阵大笑,淹没了比尔没说完的话。弗雷德、乔治、罗恩和蒙顿格斯在椅子上笑得前仰后合。

“——后来,”蒙顿格斯笑得喘不过气来,眼泪直顺着他的面颊往下流,他说,“后来,信不信由你们吧,他对我说,他说:‘咦,顿格,这些癞蛤蟆你是从哪儿弄来的?不知道哪个杂种把我的癞蛤蟆全给偷走了!’我就说了:‘把你的癞蛤蟆全偷走了,是威尔干的,那怎么办呢?所以你才需要再买一些呀,对不对?’你们信不信吧,孩子们,那个没头脑的丑八怪居然从我手里把他自己的癞蛤蟆全都买了回去,价钱比他原先买的时候还要高得多——”

'I don't think we need to hear any more of your business dealings, thank you very much, Mundungus,' said Mrs Weasley sharply, as Ron slumped forwards on to the table, howling with laughter.

'Beg pardon, Molly,' said Mundungus at once, wiping his eyes and winking at Harry. 'But, you know, Will nicked 'em orf Warty Harris in the first place so I wasn't really doing nothing wrong.'

'I don't know where you learned about right and wrong, Mundungus, but you seem to have missed a few crucial lessons,' said Mrs Weasley coldly.

Fred and George buried their faces in their goblets of Butterbeer; George was hiccoughing. For some reason, Mrs Weasley threw a very nasty look at Sirius before getting to her feet and going to fetch a large rhubarb crumble for pudding. Harry looked round at his godfather.

'Molly doesn't approve of Mundungus,' said Sirius in an undertone.

'How come he's in the Order?' Harry said, very quietly.

'He's useful,' Sirius muttered. 'Knows all the crooks - well, he would, seeing as he's one himself. But he's also very loyal to Dumbledore, who helped him out of a tight spot once. It pays to have someone like Dung around, he hears things we don't. But Molly thinks inviting him to stay for dinner is going too far. She hasn't forgiven him for slipping off duty when he was supposed to be tailing you.'

“我们不需要听你唠叨这些生意经,蒙顿格斯,非常感谢。”韦斯莱夫人严厉地说。

罗恩扑在桌子上,放声大笑。

“对不起,莫丽,”蒙顿格斯立刻说道,他擦擦眼泪,朝哈利眨了眨眼睛。“可是,你知道,是威尔把它们从瓦提·海里斯那里偷出来的,所以我其实并没有做什么坏事。”

“我不知道你的是非观念是从哪儿学到的,蒙顿格斯,但你似乎漏掉了最关键的几课。”韦斯莱夫人冷冷地说。

弗雷德和乔治把脸埋在盛着黄油啤酒的高脚酒杯上,乔治笑得直打嗝。不知为什么,韦斯莱夫人狠狠地白了小天狼星一眼,然后起身拿来一大堆大黄面包屑做甜点。哈利扭头望着他的教父。

“莫丽不大赞成蒙顿格斯。”小天狼星压低声音说。

“那他怎么会加入凤凰社的?”哈利悄声地问。

“他有用啊,”小天狼星小声嘀咕道,“认识所有的骗子毛贼——哼,这也难怪,他自己就是那一类货色。不过他对邓布利多倒是忠心耿耿,有一次还帮助邓布利多摆脱了困境。弄一个顿格这样的人在身边也有好处,他能听到我们听不到的东西。但莫丽认为请他留下来吃晚饭太过分了。莫丽还没有原谅他在应该跟踪你的时候擅离职守。”

Three helpings of rhubarb crumble and custard later and I he waistband on Harry's jeans was feeling uncomfortably tight (which was saying something as the jeans had once been Dudley's). As he laid down his spoon there was a lull in the general conversation: Mr Weasley was leaning back in his chair, looking replete and relaxed; Tonks was yawning widely, her nose now back to normal; and Ginny, who had lured Crookshanks out from under the dresser, was sitting cross-legged on the floor, rolling Butterbeer corks for him to chase.

'Nearly time for bed, I think,' said Mrs Weasley with a yawn.

'Not just yet, Molly,' said Sirius, pushing away his empty plate and turning to look at Harry. 'You know, I'm surprised at you. I thought the first thing you'd do when you got here would be to start asking questions about Voldemort.'

The atmosphere in the room changed with the rapidity Harry associated with the arrival of Dementors. Where seconds before it had been sleepily relaxed, it was now alert, even tense. A frisson had gone around the table at the mention of Voldemort's name. Lupin, who had been about to take a sip of wine, lowered his goblet slowly, looking wary.

'I did!' said Harry indignantly. 'I asked Ron and Hermione but they said we're not allowed in the Order, so - '

'And they're quite right,' said Mrs Weasley. 'You're too young.'

She was sitting bolt upright in her chair, her fists clenched an its arms, every trace of drowsiness gone.

三份大黄面包屑,接着又是蛋奶糕,哈利牛仔裤的裤腰紧得难受了(这是很能说明问题的,因为那条牛仔裤本来是达力的)当。哈利放下勺子时,饭桌上的谈话逐渐平静了下来。韦斯莱先生靠在椅子背上,一副吃饱喝足、身心放松的样子。唐克斯张着大嘴打哈欠,她的鼻子已经恢复了正常。金妮把克鲁克山从碗橱下面引了出来,这会儿正盘腿坐在地上,把一些黄油啤酒的软木塞滚来滚去,让克鲁克山追着玩儿。

“差不多该上床睡觉了,我想。”韦斯莱夫人打着哈欠说。

“还没有呢,莫丽。”小天狼星把面前的空盘子推到一边,转脸望着哈利,“知道吗,我真为你感到吃惊呢。我以为你到这里的第一件事就是询问关于伏地魔的情况。”

屋里的气氛突然变了,速度如此之快,哈利还以为是摄魂怪来了。几秒钟前还是那样轻松悠闲,令人昏昏欲睡,现在却变得警觉,甚至是紧张了。听到伏地魔的名字,饭桌周围掠过一阵战栗。卢平刚才端起杯子正要喝酒,这时慢慢放下酒杯,露出警惕的神情。

“我问了!”哈利气愤地说,“我问了罗恩和赫敏,但他们说我们没被批准加入凤凰社,所以——”

“他们说得对呀,”韦斯莱夫人说,“你们年纪还太校”

她笔直地坐在椅子上,两个拳头捏得紧紧的抱在怀里,睡意消失得无影无踪。

'Since when did someone have to be in the Order of the Phoenix to ask questions?' asked Sirius. 'Harry's been trapped in that Muggle house for a month. He's got the right to know what's been happen-'

'Hang on!' interrupted George loudly.

'How come Harry gets his questions answered?' said Fred angrily.

'We've been trying to get stuff out of you for a month and y du haven't told us a single stinking thing!' said George.

' "You're too young, you're not in the Order," ' said Fred, in a high-pitched voice that sounded uncannily like his mother's. 'Harry's not even of age!'

'It's not my fault you haven't been told what the Order's doing,' said Sirius calmly, 'that's your parents' decision. Harry, on the other hand - '

'It's not down to you to decide what's good for Harry!' said Mrs Weasley sharply. The expression on her normally kind face looked dangerous. 'You haven't forgotten what Dumbledore said, I suppose?'

'Which bit?' Sirius asked politely, but with the air of a man readying himself for a fight.

'The bit about not telling Harry more than he needs to know,' said Mrs Weasley, placing a heavy emphasis on the last three words.

“从什么时候开始,我们必须先加入凤凰社才能提问题?”小天狼星问。

“哈利在那个麻瓜家里困了整整一个月。他有权利知道发生了什么——”

“等一等!”乔治大声打断了他。

“为什么哈利的问题就能得到答复?”弗雷德气呼呼地问。

“一个月来我们一直想从你们嘴里问出点什么来,但你们什么也不肯告诉我们!”乔治说。

“你们年纪太小了,你们没有加入凤凰社,”弗雷德说,那又尖又细的声音活脱脱就是他母亲的,听着简直不可思议,“而哈利甚至还没有成年呢!”

“没有人告诉你们凤凰社在做什么,这可不能怪我呀,”小天狼星平静地说道,“那是你父母的决定。而哈利则不同——”

“用不着你来决定怎么对哈利有好处!”韦斯莱夫人厉声说,平日和蔼亲切的脸上此刻露出的表情很吓人,“我想,你没有忘记邓布利多说的话吧?”

“哪一部分?”小天狼星不失礼貌地问,但神情却像一个准备迎战的人。

“就是不告诉哈利他不需要知道的。”韦斯莱夫人说,着重强调了最后几个字。

Ron, Hermione, Fred and Georges heads swivelled from Sirius to Mrs Weasley as though they were following a tennis rally. Ginny was kneeling amid a pile of abandoned Butterbeer corks, watching the conversation with her mouth slightly open. Lupin's eyes were fixed on Sirius.

'I don't intend to tell him more than he needs to know, Molly,' said Sirius. 'But as he was the one who saw Voldemort come back' (again, there was a collective shudder around the table at the name) 'he has more right than most to - '

'He's not a member of the Order of the Phoenix!' said Mrs Weasley. 'He's only fifteen and - '

'And he's dealt with as much as most in the Order,' said Sirius, 'and more than some.'

'No one's denying what he's done!' said Mrs Weasley, her voice rising, her fists trembling on the arms of her chair. 'But he's still - '

'He's not a child!' said Sirius impatiently.

'He's not an adult either!' said Mrs Weasley, the colour rising in her cheeks. 'He's not James, Sirius!'

罗恩、赫敏、弗雷德和乔治的脑袋在小天狼星和韦斯莱夫人之间转来转去,仿佛在观看网球场上的来回对打。金妮跪在一堆丢弃的黄油啤酒软木塞中间,呆呆地望着他们谈话,嘴巴微微张着。卢平眼睛一眨不眨地盯着小天狼星。

“我只打算告诉哈利他需要知道的,莫丽,”小天狼星说,“但当时是他看见伏地魔复活的,”(听到这个名字,饭桌周围的人又是一阵战栗)“他比大多数人都更有权利——”

“他还不是凤凰社的成员呢!”韦斯莱夫人说道,“他才只有十五岁,而且——”

“但他经历的事情不比风凰社的大多数人少,”小天狼星说,“甚至比有些人还多呢。”

“没有人否认他做过的事情!”韦斯莱夫人说,声音越来越高,放在椅子扶手上的拳头在微微颤抖,“但他仍然——”

“他不是个孩子了!”小天狼星不耐烦地说。

“但他也不是个成年人!”韦斯莱夫人说,血液冲上了她的面颊,“他不是詹姆,小天狼星!”

'I'm perfectly clear who he is, thanks, Molly,' said Sirius coldly.

'I'm not sure you are!' said Mrs Weasley. 'Sometimes, the way you talk about him, it's as though you think you've got your best friend back!'

'What's wrong with that?' said Harry.

'What's wrong, Harry, is that you are not your father, however much you might look like him!' said Mrs Weasley, her eyes still boring into Sirius. 'You are still at school and adults responsible for you should not forget it!'

'Meaning I'm an irresponsible godfather?' demanded Sirius, his voice rising.

'Meaning you have been known to act rashly, Sirius, which is why Dumbledore keeps reminding you to stay at home and - '

'We'll leave my instructions from Dumbledore out of this, if you please!' said Sirius loudly.

'Arthur!' said Mrs Weasley rounding on her husband. 'Arthur, back me up!'

Mr Weasley did not speak at once. He took off his glasses and cleaned them slowly on his robes, not looking at his wife. Only when he had replaced them carefully on his nose did he reply.

“谢谢,我很清楚他是谁,莫丽。”小天狼星冷冷地说。

“我看不一定!”韦斯莱夫人说,“有时你谈起他时的语气,就好像你以为你最好的朋友又回来了似的!”

“那又有什么错呢?”哈利说。

“错就错在你不是你的父亲,哈利,不管你长得多么像他!”韦斯莱夫人说道,眼睛仍然死死地盯着小天狼星,“你还在上学,对你负责任的成年人不应该忘记这一点!”

“你是说我是个不负责任的教父?”小天狼星问道,声音提高了。

“我是说大家都知道你做事情莽撞,小天狼星,所以邓布利多才不断提醒你待在家里——”

“对不起,希望我们的谈话不要扯进邓布利多对我的指教。”小天狼星大声说。

“亚瑟!”韦斯莱夫人说,突然转向她的丈夫,“亚瑟,你支持我一下!”

韦斯莱先生没有马上说话,而是摘下眼镜,在长袍上慢慢地擦着镜片,眼睛也不看自己的妻子。他小心翼翼地把眼镜重新戴好,才开了口。

'Dumbledore knows the position has changed, Molly. He accepts that Harry will have to be filled in, to a certain extent, now that he is staying at Headquarters.'

'Yes, but there's a difference between that and inviting him to ask whatever he likes!'

'Personally,' said Lupin quietly, looking away from Sirius at last, as Mrs Weasley turned quickly to him, hopeful that finally she was about to get an ally, 'I think it better that Harry gets the facts - 'not all the facts, Molly, but the general picture - from us, rather than a garbled version from . . . others.'

His expression was mild, but Harry felt sure Lupin, at least, knew that some Extendable Ears had survived Mrs Weasley's purge.

'Well,' said Mrs Weasley, breathing deeply and looking around the table for support that did not come, 'well . . . I can see I' going to be overruled. I'll just say this: Dumbledore must have had his reasons for not wanting Harry to know too much, and speaking as someone who has Harry's best interests at heart -'

'He's not your son,' said Sirius quietly.

'He's as good as,' said Mrs Weasley fiercely. 'Who else has he got?'

'He's got me!'

'Yes,' said Mrs Weasley, her lip curling, 'the thing is, it's been rather difficult for you to look after him while you've been locked up in Azkaban, hasn't it?'

“邓布利多知道情况有了变化,莫丽。他同意在一定程度上必须把最新消息告诉给哈利,既然哈利现在已经住在指挥部了。”

“没错,但那跟鼓励他随便发问还是有区别的!”

“就我个人来说,”卢平终于把目光从小天狼星身上移开,轻声细语地说话了,韦斯莱夫人立刻转向他,满心指望自己总算有了一个支持者,“我认为最好让哈利从我们这里了解到事实真相——不是所有的事实,莫丽,而是一个大致的情况,免得他从——别人那里得到一些混乱不清的说法。”

他的表情很温和,但哈利可以肯定,至少卢平是知道有几只伸缩耳逃脱了韦斯莱夫人的清洗扫荡。

“好吧,”韦新莱夫人说,深深吸了口气,扫视了一圈饭桌,指望能够得到支持,但没有人响应,“好吧——看来我的意见是要被否决了。我只想说一句:邓布利多不想让哈利知道得太多肯定有他的道理,我作为一个关心哈利切身利益的人——”

“他不是你的儿子。”小天狼星轻声说。

“但和我的儿子差不多。”韦斯莱夫人恼怒地说,“他还有谁?”

“他有我!”

“是啊,”韦斯莱夫人撇着嘴说,“问题是,你自己被关在阿兹卡班,根本就难以照顾他,是不是?”
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

扫二维码关注我们

小黑屋|手机版|雄州网 ( 蜀ICP备10022193号-9

Copyright 2015 最新最精彩-社区论坛 版权所有 All Rights Reserved.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表