QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索
查看: 2668|回复: 0

[晨韵英语] 晨韵推荐:双语美文--哈利波特与凤凰社 Chapter 8(上)

[复制链接]
发表于 2016-11-8 10:26:38 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
IP:四川成都
Harry gasped; he could not help himself. The large dungeon he had entered was horribly familiar. He had not only seen it before, he had been here before. This was the place he had visited inside Dumbledore's Pensieve, the place where he had watched the Lestranges sentenced to life imprisonment in Azkaban.
The walls were made of dark stone, dimly lit by torches. Empty benches rose on either side of him, but ahead, in the highest benches of all, were many shadowy figures. They had been talking in low voices, but as the heavy door swung closed behind Harry an ominous silence fell.
A cold male voice rang across the courtroom.
'You're late.'
'Sorry,' said Harry nervously. 'I - I didn't know the time had been changed.'
'That is not the Wizengamot's fault,' said the voice. 'An owl was sent to you this morning. Take your seat.'
Harry dropped his gaze to the chair in the centre of the room, the arms of which were covered in chains. He had seen those chains spring to life and bind whoever sat between them. His footsteps echoed loudly as he walked across the stone floor. When he sat gingerly on the edge of the chair the chains clinked threateningly, but did not bind him. Feeling rather sick, he looked up at the people seated at the bench above.
There were about fifty of them, all, as far as he could see, wearing plum-coloured robes with an elaborately worked silver 'W' on the left-hand side of the chest and all staring down their noses at him, some with very austere expressions, others looks of frank curiosity.
In the very middle of the front row sat Cornelius Fudge, the Minister for Magic. Fudge was a portly man who often sported a lime-green bowler hat, though today he had dispensed with it; he had dispensed, too, with the indulgent smile he had once worn when he spoke to Harry. A broad, square-jawed witch with very short grey hair sat on Fudges left; she wore a monocle and looked forbidding. On Fudges right was another witch, but she was sitting so far back on the bench that her face was in shadow.
'Very well,' said Fudge. 'The accused being present - finally - let us begin. Are you ready?' he called down the row.
哈利倒抽了一口冷气,他无法控制自已。他走进的这间幽深的暗室对他来说太熟悉了,令他胆战心惊。他不仅以前见过它,而且曾经还来过这里,这就是他在邓布利多的冥想盆里见过的地方,他就是在这里目睹了莱斯特兰奇夫妇被判在阿兹卡班终身监禁。
四周的墙壁是用黑黑的石头砌成的,火把的光线昏暗阴森。他的两边是一排排逐渐升高的空板凳,而他的前方,在最高的几条板凳上,赫然浮现着许多黑黑乎乎的人影。他们刚才一直在窃窃私语,当沉重的大门在哈利身后关上时,一种不祥的沉寂笼罩下来。
一个冷冷的男人声音在审判室里回荡着。
“你迟到了。”
“对不起,”哈利紧张地说,“我——我不知道时间改了。”
“那不是威森加摩的过错。”那个声音说,“今天早晨派一只猫头鹰去通知你了。坐下吧。”
哈利垂下目光,望着房间中央的那把椅子,椅子的扶手上是左一道右一道的铁链。他曾经见过这些铁链突然蹿起来,把坐在中间的人捆得结结实实。他的双脚走过石头地面,发出响亮的回音。他小心翼翼地坐在椅子边上,链条凶险地丁丁当当响了起来,但并没有把他捆祝哈利觉得一阵眩晕恶心,抬头望了望坐在上面板凳上的那些人。
他所能看见的,大约有五十个人,穿着紫红色的长袍,左前胸上绣着一个精致的银色“W”。他们都垂眼望着他,有的带着严厉的表情,有的则毫不掩饰内心的好奇。
在前面一排板凳的正中间,坐着魔法部部长康奈利·福吉。福吉是一个大胖子,经常戴一顶暗黄绿色的圆顶高帽,不过今天他没有戴。另外,以前他对哈利说话时脸上总带着的那种慈祥的微笑,今天也消失不见了。福吉的左边坐着一个宽身材、方下巴的女巫,灰色的头发剪得短短的,戴着一副单片眼镜,脸上的表情令人生畏。福吉的右边坐着另一个女巫,但她在板凳上坐得太靠后了,她的脸笼罩在阴影中。
“很好,”福吉说,“被告终于到场了,我们开始吧。你准备好了吗?”他朝板凳那头大声问道。
'Yes, sir,' said an eager voice Harry knew. Ron's brother Percy was sitting at the very end of the front bench. Harry looked at Percy, expecting some sign of recognition from him, but none came. Percy's eyes, behind his horn-rimmed glasses, were fixed on his parchment, a quill poised in his hand.
'Disciplinary hearing of the twelfth of August,' said Fudge in a ringing voice, and Percy began taking notes at once, 'into offences committed under the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery and the International Statute of Secrecy by Harry-James Potter, resident at number four, Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey.
'Interrogators: Cornelius Oswald Fudge, Minister for Magic; Amelia Susan Bones, Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement; Dolores Jane Umbridge, Senior Undersecretary to the Minister. Court Scribe, Percy Ignatius Weasley - '
'Witness for the defence, Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore,' said a quiet voice from behind Harry, who turned his head so fast he cricked his neck.
Dumbledore was striding serenely across the room wearing long midnight-blue robes and a perfectly calm expression. His long silver beard and hair gleamed in the torchlight as he drew level with Harry and looked up at Fudge through the half-moon spectacles that rested halfway down his very crooked nose.
The members of the Wizengamot were muttering. All eyes were now on Dumbledore. Some looked annoyed, others slightly frightened; two elderly witches in the back row, however, raised their hands and waved in welcome.
A powerful emotion had risen in Harry's chest at the sight of Dumbledore, a fortified, hopeful feeling rather like that which phoenix song gave him. He wanted to catch Dumbledore's eye, but Dumbledore was not looking his way; he was continuing to look up at the obviously flustered Fudge.
“是的,先生。”一个哈利熟悉的声音急切地说道。罗恩的哥哥珀西坐在前排板凳的最边上。哈利望着珀西,以为他会显露出认识自己的表情,但是他脸上什么表情也没有。珀西那双藏在角质架眼镜后面的眼睛正专注地盯着面前的羊皮纸,一只羽毛笔拿在手里准备写字。
“8月12日的审判,”福吉声如洪钟地说,珀西忙不迭地开始做记录,“审理家住萨里郡小惠金区女贞路四号的哈利·詹姆·波特违反《对未成年巫师加以合理约束法》和《国际保密法》一案。
“审问者:魔法部部长康奈利·奥斯瓦尔德·福吉;魔法法律执行司司长阿米莉亚·苏珊·博恩斯;高级副部长多洛雷斯·简·乌姆里奇。审判记录员:珀西·伊格内修斯·韦斯莱——”
“被告方证人:阿不思·珀西瓦尔·伍尔弗里克·布赖恩·邓布利多。”哈利身后一个平静的声音说道。哈利猛一转头,差点儿把脖子扭伤了。
邓布利多镇定自若地大步走了过来,身穿一袭黑蓝色的长袍,脸上是一副极为安详的表情。他走到与哈利平行的地方,抬起头来,透过架在鹰钩鼻鼻梁上的半月形眼镜望着福吉,他长长的银白色胡子和头发在火把的映照下闪闪发光。
威森加摩的成员都在小声地交头接耳。所有的目光都投在邓布利多身上。有人显得很恼火,有人似乎有点儿害怕,而坐在后排的两个上了年纪的女巫竟然挥手表示欢迎。
哈利看见邓布利多,内心就升起一股强烈的情感,让他感到踏实,充满了希望,就像凤凰福克斯歌声曾经带给他的感觉一样。他想与邓布利多对一下目光,但邓布利多没有朝他这边看,而是继续抬眼望着显然惊慌失措的福吉。
'Ah,' said Fudge, who looked thoroughly disconcerted. 'Dumbledore. Yes. You - er - got our - er - message that the time and - er - place of the hearing had been changed, then?'
'I must have missed it,' said Dumbledore cheerfully. 'However, due to a lucky mistake I arrived at the Ministry three hours early, so no harm done.'
'Yes - well - I suppose we'll need another chair - I - Weasley, could you - ?'
'Not to worry, not to worry,' said Dumbledore pleasantly; he took out his wand, gave it a little flick, and a squashy chintz armchair appeared out of nowhere next to Harry. Dumbledore sat down, out the tips of his long fingers together and surveyed Fudge over them with an expression of polite interest. The Wizengamot was still muttering and fidgeting restlessly; only when Fudge spoke again did they settle down.
'Yes,' said Fudge again, shuffling his notes. 'Well, then. So. The charges. Yes.'
He extricated a piece of parchment from the pile before him, took a deep breath, and read out, The charges against the accused are as follows:
That he did knowingly, deliberately and in full awareness of the illegality of his actions, having received a previous written warning from the Ministry of Magic on a similar charge, produce a Patronus Charm in a Muggle-inhabited area, in the presence of a Muggle, on the second of August at twenty-three minutes past nine, which constitutes an offence under Paragraph C of the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery, 1875, and also under Section 13 of the International Confederation of Warlocks' Statute of Secrecy.
'You are Harry James Potter, of number four, Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey?' Fudge said, glaring at Harry over the top of his parchment.
'Yes,' Harry said.
'You received an official warning from the Ministry for using illegal magic three years ago, did you not?'
'Yes, but - '
'And yet you conjured a Patronus on the night of the second of August?' said Fudge.
'Yes,' said Harry, 'but - '
'Knowing that you are not permitted to use magic outside school while you are under the age of seventeen?'
“啊,”福吉说道,看上去完全没了主张,“邓布利多。是的。这么说,你——嗯——嗯——你收到我们的信——知道审讯的时间、地点都改变了?”
“看来我是没收到,”邓布利多语气欢快地说,“不过,我犯了一个幸运的错误,提前三个小时就来到了魔法部,所以没造成妨碍。”
“是的——好吧——我想我们需要再拿一把椅子来——我——韦斯莱,你能不能——?”
“不劳费心,不劳费心。”邓布利多温文尔雅地说。他抽出魔杖,轻轻抖动了一下,一把柔软的磨光印花棉布扶手椅凭空出现在哈利旁边。邓布利多坐了下来,长长的手指尖对接在一起,目光从那上面望着福吉,脸上带着彬彬有礼、饶有兴趣的表情。威森加摩的成员仍然在交头接耳,一个个坐立不安。后来福吉又开口说话时,他们才安静下来。
“是的,”福吉说着,把面前的文件移来移去,“那么好吧。现在是……指控。是的。”
他从一堆文件中抽出一张羊皮纸,深深吸了口气,大声念道:“指控被告方有如下罪行:
“被告以前曾因类似指控受到魔法部书面警告,这次又在完全知道自己行为是违法的情况下,蓄意地、明知故犯地于8月2日晚九点二十三分,在一个麻瓜居住区,当着一个麻瓜的面,施用了一个呼神护卫咒,此行为违反了一八七五年颁布的《对未成年巫师加以合理约束法》第三段以及《国际魔法师联合会保密法》第十三条。”
“你就是居住在萨里郡小惠金区女贞路四号的哈利·詹姆·波特?”福吉一边问一边从羊皮纸上方瞪视着哈利。
“是的。”哈利回答。
“你三年前曾因非法使用魔法而受到魔法部的正式警告,是吗?”
“是的,可是——”
“而且你又在8月2日晚上用魔法变出了一个守护神?”福吉说。
“是的,”哈利说,“可是——”
“你明知道你还不到十七岁,不允许在校外使用魔法?”
'Yes, but - '
'Knowing that you were in an area full of Muggles?'
'Yes, but - '
'Fully aware that you were in close proximity to a Muggle at the time?'
'Yes,' said Harry angrily, 'but I only used it because we were - '
The witch with the monocle cut across him in a booming voice.
'You produced a fully-fledged Patronus?'
'Yes,' said Harry, 'because - '
'A corporeal Patronus?'
'A - what?' said Harry.
'Your Patronus had a clearly defined form? I mean to say, it was more than vapour or smoke?'
'Yes,' said Harry, feeling both impatient and slightly desperate, 'it's a stag, it's always a stag.'
'Always?' boomed Madam Bones. 'You have produced a Patronus before now?'
'Yes,' said Harry, 'I've been doing it for over a year.'
'And you are fifteen years old?'
'Yes, and - '
'You learned this at school?'
'Yes, Professor Lupin taught me in my third year, because of the - '
'Impressive,' said Madam Bones, staring down at him, 'a true Patronus at his age . . . very impressive indeed.'
Some of the wizards and witches around her were muttering again; a few nodded, but others were frowning and shaking their heads.
'It's not a question of how impressive the magic was,' said Fudge in a testy voice, 'in fact, the more impressive the worse it is, I would have thought, given that the boy did it in plain view of a Muggle!'
Those who had been frowning now murmured in agreement, but it was the sight of Percy's sanctimonious little nod that goaded Harry into speech.
'I did it because of the Dementors!' he said loudly, before anyone could interrupt him again.
He had expected more muttering, but the silence that fell seemed to be somehow denser than before.
'Dementors?' said Madam Bones after a moment, her thick eyebrows rising until her monocle looked in danger of falling out. 'What do you mean, boy?'
'I mean there were two Dementors down that alleyway and they went for me and my cousin!'
'Ah,' said Fudge again, smirking unpleasantly as he looked around at the Wizengamot, as though inviting them to share the joke. 'Yes. Yes, I thought we'd be hearing something like this.'
“是的,可是——”
“明知道你当时身处一个麻瓜密集的地方?”
“是的,可是——”
“你完全清楚当时近旁就有一个麻瓜?”
“是的,”哈利恼火地说,“但我使用魔法,只是因为我们——”
戴单片眼镜的女巫用洪亮而深沉的声音打断了他。
“你变出了一个完全成熟的守护神?”
“是的,”哈利说,“因为——”
“一个肉身的守护神?”
“一个——什么?”哈利问。
“你的守护神具有清楚明确的形态?我的意思是——它不仅仅是蒸气或者烟雾?”
“是的,”哈利觉得又烦躁又有点绝望,“那是一只牡鹿,每次都是一只牡鹿。”
“每次?”博恩斯女士用洪亮的声音问,“你以前也变出过守护神?”
“是的,”哈利说,“我这么做已经有一年多了。”
“你现在是十五岁?”
“是的,而且——”
“你是在学校里学会的?”
“是的,我三年级时,卢平教授教我的,因为——”
“真是了不起,”博恩斯女士从上面望着他说道,“他这个年纪能变出真正的守护神……确实很了不起。”
她周围的一些巫师又开始交头接耳了。有的点了点头,有的则露出不悦的神情,连连摇头。
“这不是一个魔法多么了不起的问题,”福吉用恼怒的声音说,“实际上我认为,越是了不起就越糟糕,因为那孩子是当着一个麻瓜的面这么做的!”
那些露出不悦神情的巫师们喃喃地表示同意,哈利看见珀西居然也假装正经地点了点头,他被激怒了,于是忍不住开了口:“我那么做是因为摄魂怪!”他大声说道,没人来得及再次打断他。
他以为人们又会交头接耳,没想到四下里鸦雀无声,似乎比刚才还要肃静。
“摄魂怪?”过了一会儿博恩斯女士说,她两条浓眉扬得高高的,单片眼镜似乎快要滑下来了,“你这是什么意思,孩子?”
“我是说,当时小巷里冒出了两个摄魂怪,直朝我和我表哥逼来!”
“啊,”福吉又说话了,嘴里发出令人讨厌的嘲笑声,一边望着前后左右的威森加摩成员,似乎希望他们对这个笑话也能心领神会。“是啊,是啊,我就知道我们会听到诸如此类的鬼话。”

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

扫二维码关注我们

小黑屋|手机版|雄州网 ( 蜀ICP备10022193号-9

Copyright 2015 最新最精彩-社区论坛 版权所有 All Rights Reserved.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表